PhD students are eligible to request conference travel funds in their first three years of the HOS PhD degree program. The College of Hospitality provides up to $2500 per academic year (July 1 – June 30) for PhD students to attend conferences. Students must receive pre-approval from the HOS Graduate Programs Office prior to attending the conference to be eligible for this funding. Decisions will be sent to students within 10 business days of when a completed form and supporting documents are submitted. Students need to carefully read through the HOS travel policies below.
- PhD students must be registered for at least 6 hours in the semester they attend the conference and must be in the first three years of the PhD program.
- PhD students must be either presenting a poster (first year PhD students only) or giving a presentation.
- PhD students must have completed their research project under the supervision of one of the HOS Faculty. This faculty member will be required to sign the Conference Travel Pre-Authorization Request form.
- ALL conference travel must be pre-approved prior to the conference start date in order to be eligible for HOS conference travel funding.
- Students must complete the Conference Travel Pre-Authorization Request form. In addition to the form, students must submit a summary of their research project and documentation they have been selected to present by the conference. The completed form plus supporting documents must be submitted to Rhonda McElroy.
- Conference travel will only include the following costs: conference registration, airfare, hotel, and printing services (if you have to print a poster). No other costs such as transportation, mileage reimbursement, or per diem will be provided.
How Conference Travel Funding Works
HOS PhD students who are approved for the HOS conference funding will need to pay for all of their expenses and then will be reimbursed after the conference. Students must submit all travel receipts to Josephine Ishou (cc Valerie Calbert and Veronica Becerra on the email) within 10 business days after their travel is completed in order to be eligible for reimbursement. The HOS Graduate Programs Office will not be able to reimburse students if receipts are not provided. Therefore, please keep track of all travel receipts. Students’ reimbursement will go directly into their student account. If there is any balance in his/her student account, the funds will be used to pay this balance and then the remainder paid out to the student.
Practice Your Presentation before the Conference
The COM Lab offers appointments for students to come in and practice their conference presentation and receive feedback. Book an appointment today!
Printing Your Poster
The UNLV Library can assist you with printing your poster. To learn more about this service and the cost, please visit https://www.library.unlv.edu/spaces/poster_printing.