This site is designed to help Hospitality Dissertation Chairs understand timeline of exams and the exam process for their doctoral students.
All full-time hospitality PhD students will complete a 4-hour Qualifying Exam at the end of their second semester. This exam is held in the third week of May. All part-time students will complete this exam no later than end of Spring term in their second year. The Qualifying Exam covers research methods and statistical analysis. The Faculty Director of the PhD Program administers this exam.
Dissertation Committee Chair
Full-time hospitality PhD students must submit the internal Dissertation Committee Chair form by the end of fall term in their second year. This informs the Hospitality Office of Graduate Programs of the student’s chair as well as their major and minor areas of study. In addition, students must also submit their Plan of Study to the UNLV Graduate College by the end of the fall term. This form is located in the GradRebel Gateway.
Part-time students must complete this step no later then the end of Summer term in their second year.
Appointment of Advisory Committee
Full-time hospitality PhD students must submit the UNLV Graduate College Appointment of Advisory Committee by the end of Spring term of their second year. This form is located in the GradRebel Gateway. Part-time students must complete this step no later than the Spring term of their 4th year.
Full-time hospitality PhD students must complete their Comprehensive Exam during the Summer term of their second year. This exam must be completed by end of July. Part-time students complete this exam no later than the Summer term of their 4th year. Below outlines the process for faculty to follow.
- Dissertation Chair works with the advisory committee to come up with 4 questions – two in the major area and two in the minor area.
- Dissertation Chair submits questions to the PhD Faculty Program Director for approval of exam questions. Exam questions are not to be shared with student prior to exam.
- Dissertation Chair works with the student to set the exam date and start and end time (48 hour exam).
- Dissertation Chair informs the PhD Faculty Program Director of the exam date and times. The PhD Faculty Program Director will email the exam to the student as well as collect the completed exam from the student.
- The PhD Faculty Program Director will send the Dissertation Chair the completed exam for the committee to grade.
- The Dissertation Chair will complete the Comprehensive Exam Results form and email this to Rhonda McElroy. The chair can also share the results with the student at that time.
For students who pass their Comprehensive Exam, they must submit the Dissertation Prospectus Form to the Hospitality Office of Graduate Programs by August 15 in order to register for their first set of dissertation research credits (HOA 799).
Dissertation Proposal Defense Exam
Full-time hospitality PhD students must complete their Dissertation Proposal Defense Exam by end of their first semester of their third year. Part-time students complete this milestone no later than the end of Fall term of their 5th year.
This is an oral exam where the committee approves the direction of the student’s dissertation research. The student sets the exam date with their dissertation chair and committee and informs Rhonda McElroy of the exam date. After the exam, the dissertation chair must complete the Proposal Defense Exam Results form and has the committee sign it. The results form must be submitted to Rhonda McElroy.
Final Dissertation Exam
The Final Dissertation Exam is where the student defends their dissertation results to their committee as well as hospitality faculty, staff, and students who wish to attend.
The Final Exam must be completed by the deadline published by UNLV Graduate College for the semester the student wishes to graduate. The student must also apply for graduation in this same semester by the deadline. Below are the steps for the final exam.
- Exam must be scheduled by the Hospitality Office of Graduate Program at least two week prior to when the exam is to occur.
- Exam is made public to the faculty, staff, and students.
- The student must complete the Final Exam form with the UNLV Graduate College. The dissertation chair and committee will enter in the exam results and sign this form after the exam take place.
- There is no form in the Hospitality Office of Graduate Program that needs to be completed.
- Dissertation chair is responsible for completing the thesis format check, which must meet APA format. The chair is also responsible for ensuring the quality of the thesis, content and writing, meets the standards of the college.